In 1945, the U.S. Congress approved the River & Harbors Act, which provided for the construction of Benbrook Lake, Grapevine Lake, Lavon Lake and Ray Roberts Lake. The Grapevine Dam and Reservoir project began in January 1948 and was located on Denton Creek, a tributary of the Elm Fork of the Trinity River. The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers (USACOE) acquired approximately 19,900 acres of land to be flooded by the new reservoir. The project was completed in July 1952 and USACOE began filling Grapevine Lake. Although it was predicted to require 10 years to fill Grapevine Lake, plentiful rains during the first year of impoundment resulted in the lake being filled quickly. With the creation of the lake the USACOE established parks for public use and recreation around the lakeshore. One of these parks was Marshall Creek Park, named after the Marshall Creek Branch, which flows through the Town of Trophy Club behind the Tom Thumb Center, and through the Park into Grapevine Lake. Today the USACOE Fort Worth District provides flood control to the Metroplex, as well as storing and supplying the cities of Dallas, Fort Worth and Grapevine with water.
In 2002, Trophy Club Town Council had the foresight to enter into a twenty-five year lease with the USACOE for the use of Marshall Creek Park (the original name for Trophy Club Park). The Town and USACOE agreed upon a set of primary objectives:
- To provide for the recreational needs of Trophy Club
- To maintain the preservation of open space for all visitors
- To establish areas within the park for environmental education
In 2007, the Town Council voted to change the name to Trophy Club Park in order to increase resident awareness for the park and to regionally identify the park with the town. A town-wide survey indicated that Trophy Club residents identified the need for trails and open space as one of the highest priorities in future park development. The following year, the Town Council commissioned a study to identify and prioritize the best possible uses for the park in order to address the needs of the citizens and potential regional uses for the park. In 2010 and 2011 the Town used dedicated funds from the Park Bond to improve the pedestrian and equestrian trail and signage system within the park. In 2011, the USACOE approved the uses identified in the Town’s proposed concept plan and is currently working with town staff and Park Board volunteers to finalize the map of the trail system.